Chalet of the Countess of Edla
Situated in the grounds of Portugals’ exquisite UNESCO site, the Park and Palace of Pena, the Chalet of the Countess of Edla was created between 1842-1869 as a scenic hideaway for King Ferdinand II’s lover and second wife, Elise Hensler, the Countess of Edla. This fragile, highly ornamental building was designed by Elise in the style of an Alpine chalet, and features mural paintings, stucco-work, glazed decorative tiles and an exhaustive use of cork. Partially destroyed in a fire in 1999, its careful and superb restoration won the European Union Prize for Conservation of Cultural Heritage in 2013. Companies involved in the restoration included the stucco and plasterwork specialists Crere Portugal.